3 months ago
A little about Mr. Cruz
August 5, 2019
Hello Pep+ Families!
I am writing to express how much I am looking forward to being a part of your child’s education as his/her PEP+ teacher. I have been a Mathematics / STEM / Engineering teacher in the Yucaipa Calimesa Joint Unified School District for the past twenty years. I have also been involved in athletics as the YHS Varsity Softball Head Coach, Boys and Girls Varsity Tennis Head Coach, and the Athletic Coordinator at Mesa View Middle School. Through all these experiences, I have learned that all students have the ability to be successful—it’s finding what motivates each student. I have also had the opportunity to serve as a site Administrative designee (I also have an Administrative Credential). Prior to teaching, I was a SSGT in the United States Air Force. I served for five years on active duty, working as a Security Policemen. I received an honorable discharge in November, 1984.
My interest in helping lead the PEP+ program stems from a desire to provide a high level rigorous and relevant education for all students that have not found the mainstream programs accessible for whatever reason. I had been a STEM teacher at Yucaipa High School for four years and worked with a core group of teachers to develop an Engineering Academy. I have had extensive experience developing individual curriculum plans for all levels of students. As well as working with other math professionals developing and piloting multiple math curriculums, such as: multiple versions of Common Core math curriculums, Engage New York and our current district adoption.
With twenty years of experience as an educator and school site leader, I can offer your family experience, consistency, and a genuine desire to help your child have a successful experience this school year. On a personal level, I am a father and grandpa. I understand how personally important to each of you that your loved one has the opportunity to be successful. Again, I look forward to working with each family! I am also bilingual (Spanish). I look forward to meeting all families and working with you to provide the best education possible for your child.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at bobby_cruz@ycjusd
Robert J. Cruz
What is pep+?
- Personalized Educational Program
- K-8th grade students
- Alternative to traditional classroom instruction
- Available online for 6th, 7th and 8th grades using Edgenuity
- Meets unique individualized educational needs
- Flexible hours
- Free high-quality curriculum aligned to CA Common Core State Standards
- Experienced credentialed teachers
PEP+ K-8 program students are children who meet the following requirements:
- Desire an alternative to a general education classroom that is unique, individualized, and can accelerate beyond grade level
- Are self-motivated independent workers, who have parents to help with instruction of daily lessons at home
- Have transportation to weekly meetings
- Have proficient computer skills with access to a computer
- Be on time and attend weekly meetings with the student and their learning coach
- Be the primary teachers at home for all four subject areas:
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Check completeness of assignments before the meeting date
- Set up a regular routine of at least 4 hours per day at home to complete assignments
- Communicate with your child's learning coach on a regular basis through e-mails and phone calls regarding any factors which could influence your child's learning and/or attendance
- Participate in "open door" time as needed for extra help
- Participate with your child in extracurricular activities at PEP+ to enhance socialization skills